When we think about a good breakfast, a classic French Toast is among the top rank in our house. Since we keep a well balanced and stocked pantry, we usually have everything needed ALL the time. Well, maybe not the exact bread that we use, but the great thing is you can use almost any type of bread and it will still come out perfect.
This is a quick and easy French toast recipe best with a griddle but of course, this can be made on the stove in a pan. Let's dive into how we made ours.
These are the ingredients I used to make my version of the classic French toast. These are basic pantry items that most of us have on hand.
- Texas Toast
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Ground Cinnamon
- Salt (just a pinch)
- Powdered Sugar
I like using a sheet pan to hold everything that will be used especially the eggs so they don't go rolling around the counter. Something I picked up while in Culinary School when we had to do our mise en place.
What is mise en place? It's a French culinary phrase that simply mean to put in place. To make it even more simple, it means to gather your ingredients and organize them. Putting everything you need onto a sheet pan helps to keep everything together and organized. Bonus for having everything measured out already.
You can add so much more to your French toast. Get creative, have fun, and most importantly use what you have on hand. Here are a few more ingredients that you can try out and see if your family likes them,
- Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Butter
- Apple Butter
- Whipped Topping
The Texas toast is an important part of this process as it's thick and can hold up to the batter. There are more breads that can be used, works really well, and taste great. Brioche, challah, sourdough, or French bread all hold up to the batter. Even regular sandwich bread will work (just dip and remove fast so it won't get too soggy).
Of course this can be made on the stove in a pan/skillet but I simply love making them on the griddle. With the griddle, you can make about 6 at a time and still have enough space to flip them. I have a family of 8 so space is much needed in every aspect of my household. Most of my family members want at least two for their plate. The griddle comes in handy so that we can have a hot plate of food. Plus griddles are really easy to clean and don't require you to put them into any dish water.
Classic French Toast Recipe
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon optional
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 slices Texas Toast Bread
- Strawberries as many as you want
- Blueberries as many as you want
- Syrup as much as you want
- Powdered sugar as much as you want
- Preheat Griddle to 350 degrees or heat skillet over medium heat.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl (except the bread) and mix well with a whisk.
- Dip bread slices into the batter, dredging them well on both sides, and place on hot, greased griddle or skillet.
- Cook for a few minutes until bottom is golden brown. Flip and repeat.
- Remove, set on a plate and garnish with warm syrup.
- OPTIONAL: Add berries and powdered sugar.