It's soft, it's buttery, it's super moist, and it's easy!! When you flip it, you will have nice caramelized pineapples and maraschino cherries on top…OMG!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
This cake was made the easy way, meaning grab a box cake. Don't judge me!
For a full list of ingredients and instructions to make these easy cake, please scroll down to the recipe at the bottom of the page.
- Yellow box cake
- Pineapple slices
- Maraschino Cherries
- Brown Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- Pan or casserole dish…whatever you have to bake it in the oven
- Measuring cup
When it comes to the cooking/baking vessel, it doesn't matter…and here's why. You can melt the butter on the stove or in the microwave, mix the brown sugar in and then add it to the pan or to the casserole dish. The way I made mine, was easier for me because I had a good size pan that works for me. It eliminated an extra dish to wash.
When it comes to the box cake, as long as it's yellow, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter what brand you get. It's going to come out great either way.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in your pan, sprinkle with brown sugar, then arrange the pineapple slices and maraschino cherries as you see in the photos.
Mix the box cake, eggs, oil, juice from the pineapples plus enough water to measure out 1-1/3 cups liquid. Whisk until nice and smooth.
Pour and spread the cake batter over top the pineapples and maraschino cherries.
Bake for 30-40 minutes. Check around the 30 minute mark to see if it is done by inserting a cake tester or toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it is done. If not, let it bake a little longer until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for about 10-20 minutes then invert onto a serving plate or cake stand. You want the cake to set as long as it can.
EXTRA TIPS FROM CHEF PATRICE
I'm not a baker at all. However, I know my way around a whisk or two. Remember earlier I mentioned you can melt the butter in the pan or in a bowl, then add your brown sugar to it. Just mix it up and spread evenly as you can on the bottom of the pan or casserole dish.
If you want to eliminate some of the wetness from the cake, blot the pineapples and cherries onto a paper towel before putting onto the top of the brown sugar & butter mixture. You can also set this into the refrigerator while you get your cake batter done.
Want a more pop of pineapple flavor, swap out the juice from the can and add actual pineapple juice to the cake batter. Make sure to whisk the batter until smooth. We don't want any lumps or it may not bake right.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can Pineapple slices undrained
- 10 Maraschino cherries
- 1 package Yellow cake mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in pan. Add brown sugar and mix well. Spread evenly over pan. Remove from heat.
- Arrange pineapples slices on top of butter & brown sugar mixutre around the pan. Reserving juice for later use.
- Place a cherry in the middle of each pineapple slice.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to make 1-1/3 cup of liquid.
- Whisk together yellow cake, pineapple juice, vegetable oil, and eggs until smooth.
- Pour mixture over top of pineapples.
- Bake 30-45 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.Enjoy!